Plastic Pipe and Fittings Association Policy on Testing Plastic Pipe and Fittings Installations with Compressed Gas
Compressed air or any other compressed gases should not be used for pressure testing plastic plumbing systems.
- With trap seal pull testing, where a completed DWV system is vacuum tested with all of its traps filled with water, and the trap seals are tested with a vacuum typically between one and two inches of water column.
- For plastic piping systems specifically designed for use with compressed air or gasses;
• Manufacturers’ instructions must be strictly followed for installation, visual inspection, testing and use of the systems,
• Compressed air or other gas testing is not prohibited by the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ).
- When compressed air or other gas pressure testing is specifically authorized by the applicable written instructions of the manufacturers of all plastic pipe and plastic pipe fittings products installed at the time the system is being tested and compressed air or other gas testing is not prohibited by the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ).
The manufacturer should be contacted if there is any doubt as to how a specific system should be tested.
© 2013 Plastic Pipe and Fittings Association (PPFA)